Mr. George Deakins was to receive 600 acres of land in Western Maryland as a payment of a debt from King George II of England. Mr. Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other, to survey the best land in this area. Both crews returned and to their surprise, they had both marked the same Oak tree as their starting and returning points. Mr. Deakins chose this plot of ground and had it patented "The Accident Tract". Now called, the Town of Accident!
Accident was incorporated in 1916.
For more information about the history of Accident:
Western Maryland's Historical Library